Tuesday, April 19, 2011

StrengthsFinder 2.0

I recently read StrengthsFinder 2.0 by Tom Rath. This book analyzes your personal strengths and it's findings can be applied to the workplace, in the home and throughout all relationships with others. The foundation of the book is based on a researched theory that people are more successful when they focus on their natural talents and traits instead of trying to constantly transform their weaknesses.

This is such a quick read and the test takes about 30 minutes to complete. I highly recommend it to anyone no matter your age or stage in your career. The test gives you the results of your top 5 strengths (there are 34 different strengths that have been identified) Here are my results:

Developer: "People who are especially talented in the Developer theme recognize and cultivate then potential in others. They spot the signs of each small improvement and derive satisfaction from these improvements"

Individualization: "People who are especially talented in the Individualization theme are intrigued with the unique qualities of each person. They have a gift for figuring out how people who are different can work together productively"

Responsibility: "People who are especially talented in the Responsibility theme take psychological ownership of what they say they will do. They are committed to stable values such as honesty and loyalty"

Communication: "People who are especially talented in the Communication theme generally find it easy to put their thoughts into words. They are good conversationalists and presenters"

Futuristic: "People who are especially talented in the Futuristic theme are inspired by the future and what could be. They inspire others with their visions of the future"

I will have to say, I think that the descriptions of my strengths are a bit idealistic and I only wish that my strengths were actually as strong as the descriptions portray. Overall, though, I think the test was pretty accurate in pinpointing my strong traits. The test results go on to discuss what you should do to express your strengths to your advantage and how others may perceive your strengths in both positive and negative lights.

Taking the test has definitely helped me brainstorm ways to use my strengths to my advantage. I hope that I can capitalize on these traits and embark on a successful new career, whatever it may be!

1 comment:

  1. Strengths Finder 2.0 is the follow up to Gallups Now, Discover Your Strengths. The book includes a revamped version of the test that shows you not just what your top five strengths are, but also how you rank in the rest of the 34 strengths from Clifton's model. The new book is light on content (very light) but the test is a substantial improvement.

    ReplyDelete