Saturday, September 10, 2011

Gluten Free Dairy Free "Ice Cream" Cake

Russell turned 29 this week, or as our friends Peter and Katelyn call it "30 minus 1".  I always make Russell an ice cream cake for his birthday but this year I had to be  a little more creative.  Russell is on a new diet that we are trying in lieu of meds that were prescribed to him that came along with some pretty undesirable side effects. The point is to try to keep his digestive tract working efficiently and limit the number of foreign bacteria in his body.

So here's the diet: no gluten, no dairy, no shellfish, limit red meat and pork, no tomatoes, no peppers, no eggplant, no potatoes, limit eggs, limit chocolate.

"Yipes" you say.  "Yipes" is right, but we're making it work and I plan to blog about my recipe creations throughout this diet trial.

Off I went to Target to get inspiration for this birthday cake experiment...

At target I found a decent selection of gluten free, dairy free products which I was really excited about!  I brought home Pamela's Vanilla Cake Mix, Haagen Daaz Peach Orchard Sorbet, and I Can't Believe It's Not Butter butter substitute (which I'll have to say, I'm really sad about using fake butter...so not healthy).

I created a vanilla cake with peach sorbet filling frosted with caramel butter cream.

Here's the cake story in pictures:

All of the alternative ingredient options- I'll say one thing: this diet is expensive!

The cake mix gives three options: basic, light and fluffy, and dense.  I went with light and fluffy which I recommend, I can't imagine the texture of the other two options but the light and fluffy seemed like a normal cake.  I baked the cake in 2 greased 8" rounds with parchment paper lining the bottom.

Time for the frosting!  In a medium saucepan melt 1 stick of butter with 1/2c. (ish) of brown sugar, 1tsp cinnamon, 1tsp vanilla and 2 cranks of sea salt.  Stir throughout while cooking over medium-low heat until sugar has dissolved.  In your mixer, add room temperature butter (or fake butter) with 1-2tsp vanilla and 1 c. powdered sugar start mixer on low setting and increase to med-high setting.  Be patient, it looks like the butter and sugar will never come together but it will. Once it begins to form butter cream substance, continue adding powdered sugar in 1/3c. intervals until it forms a stiff paste kind of like fresh playdoh.  You want this mixture to be stiff because you're going to add in the caramel sauce next.  Make sure you cool your caramel mixture to room temperature before adding it into the butter cream.  If you pour it in warm, it will melt the butter in the frosting and pretty much ruin it.  Slowly add in caramel mixture.  If frosting becomes too thin, add more powdered sugar.  Sorry for my lack of a perfect formula.

Once cakes are done, remove them from their pans and let them cool on a baking rack.  Once they have cooled, layer them into a spring form pan.  The smallest spring form pan I have is a 9" but I didn't want to make a cake that size so I made 8" cakes, cut them down to 6" cakes by using a bowl for a stencil and used the leftovers to make my spring form pan smaller.  Once I put in the leftovers, I put plastic wrap in to form a barrier then began layering my cakes.  I used about 1 1/2 pints of sorbet for the filling and then topped it with the remaining cake round.  After all of that, I covered it with parchment paper to prevent sticking in the following step.

Now it's time for the cake to set.  I placed a dinner plate over the top of the cake to weight it down and then put frozen fruit bags on top of that (mostly because I didn't have another place to put it).  You should probably let it set for about 2 hours but I didn't have that long so I let it set for 40 minutes. 

To remove the cake from the pan, I just lifted mine out with the plastic wrap that I placed in before.  If your cake is actually the size of the spring form pan, just release the spring and slide the cake out of the pan.  I placed the cake on a cold glass serving plate to prevent melting.

Since I didn't have time for my cake to set as long as it should've in the freezer, there was a little bit of sliding while I frosted it as you can see from this picture...oops!

Here's the finished product! It's actually pretty and trendy with it's neutral color combination :)



I'll have to say for a non-dairy, non-gluten, non-chocolate cake, this was pretty darn good!

2 comments:

  1. thank you so much! im allergic to milk and im celiac an this was yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay! I'm so glad I could be helpful to you! You made my day :)

      Delete