Monday, May 9, 2011

Mothers

I am likely one of the luckiest people in the world because I have been blessed with numerous women in my life, especially my mother, who have been role models for me to grow up into a confident and self-sufficient woman. I've been thinking about this post for several days and ways I could possibly organize it to get all of my thoughts into one post. I think I will just make a list of things I have learned from the women in my life. I won't name names because I would hate to hurt feelings or leave someone important out, but if you're one of those important women you'll know.

Here is my list, I'm sure not complete, and in no particular order:

I have learned from special women in my life to...

...be a hard worker

...set good examples for my siblings and cousins

...cook great food with a huge budget or a tiny one

...cook great food for one or for one hundred

...bake the perfect cake

...volunteer my time to help others in need

...be kind to strangers and to people I know

...read

...write

...stand up for myself

...get stains out of clothes

...garden (or at least where food comes from...I swear I'll learn to garden some day)

...save money

...make money

...swaddle babies

...rock babies

...feed babies

...dance

...have self confidence

...have my own style

...love my husband

...wrap gifts

...type

...swim

...dance

...make hair bows

...grocery shop

...lead by example

...run meetings

...love God

...plan a party

...write thank you notes

...can food

...juggle packed schedules

...plan vacations

...resolve disagreements without yelling or being ugly

...embrace difference and change

...embrace familiarity and similarity

...cry when I need to

...make friends

...be inclusive

...follow my heart and intuition

....think

....be confident

...love myself

...love others

...be independent and to need others

...dress up and use manners

...play in the woods, on the lake, in the dirt

...go barefoot

...wear high heels

...be thankful for what I have

I know there is so much more to add to this list. I'm so lucky to have special women in my life who have helped me become strong and well-rounded. I know that there are many women in the word who have not had the luxury of good female role models. I know there is still so much my special women have to teach me. Thank you to these women, especially my mom!

Thanks y'all!




2 comments:

  1. Katie, you never cease to amaze me! You are so multitalented! Any word on Russell's telephone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this. so sweet and i truly believe that you do all of these things so well! this list is "Katie" to a "T"! xoxoxo miss you!

    ReplyDelete